Two-time winner at the FISM World Championships of Magic, Australian Tim Elis, will be joined by the Grand Prix Winner and 1st Runner Up of the FISM Asia Magic Championships, Koreans Yoo Hyun Minand Park Eun Kyoung.
In December 2011 Melbourne magician Tim Ellis was flown to Hong Kong as guest performer and judge at the Asia Magic Championships and he was totally blown away by the innovative and astonishing magic he was lucky enough to witness.
Tim was so impressed he invited two of the very best performers to join him on stage in Melbourne because he knew no matter how much he raved about these Korean magicians, his Australian colleagues would have to see them to believe it.
This multi-award winning trio will present a show of truly world-class conjuring and illusion live on stage at Arrows on Swanston (488 Swanston St, Carlton) on Saturday March 10 (2pm & 8pm) and Yoo Hyun Min will lecture for the local magicians between performances and share some of his most amazing secrets.
YOO HYUN MIN
At 17 a school friend of Hyun Min showed him his first magic trick and he was hooked. By 21 he had created his first award-winning act, joined a magic company, and become a full time professional magician.
At only 24 years old he is now acknowledged as the best Close Up Magician in all of Asia and will head to the UK in July to compete at the FISM World Magic Championships.
He practices his competition act 4 hours a day and spends the rest of his time creating and developing new acts. His dream is to one day open his own magic theatre and one day “create the most amazing magic in the world!!!”
Once you see his astonishing work with cards, you’ll wonder just how much more “amazing” he can get!
- 1st Prize Busan International Magic Festival – Close Up Magic (2006)
- 1st Prize World Magic Seminar Asia – Close Up Magic (2008)
- 1st Prize Lotte International Magic Convention – Stage Magic (2008)
- 1st Prize International Brotherhood of Magicians (USA) – Close Up Magic (2009)
- Grand Prix Winner FISM Asia Magic Championships – Close Up Magic (2011)
PARK EUN KYOUNG
Seven years ago Eun Kyoung went to a restaurant with a friend and a magician performed a card trick for them. She was so impressed she decided to take up magic, created a 15 minute act, and began working in the restaurant herself!
Performing every single day was very hard, but Eun Kyoung says “it was a good opportunity to learn how to communicate with the audience.”
The inspiration for her magic comes from music, musicals and plays and she is constantly dreaming up new ideas for future acts. Almost every minute of her day is spent rehearsing and improving her existing acts and creating new techniques and effects for acts in various stages of development.
2012 will see Eun Kyoung performing throughout Asia, the UK, America and Australia as well as representing Korea at the FISM World Championships in July with her award-winning ‘Carmen’ act, acclaimed as one of the most beautiful magic acts in the world today.
- 2nd Prize Busan International Magic Festival – Stage Magic (2011)
- 3rd Prize World Magic Seminar Asia – Stage Magic (2011)
- 1st Runner Up FISM Asia Magic Championships – Stage Magic (2011)
Since being given a magic set by his Grandfather at the age of 10, Tim has never held a ‘real job’ in his life. He became so spellbound with the art that he has been a retailer, publisher, editor, author, inventor, lecturer, teacher, jury member, producer, promoter, director, film and TV consultant and his work as a performer has taken him around the world many, many times.
He is one of only two living Australians to be included in the world history of magic book ‘Dictionnaire de la Prestidigitation’, alongside Harry Houdini, Orson Welles and David Copperfield. He also holds the Guinness World Record for the longest ever non-stop magic show – 75 hours!
Tim has appeared on television internationally over 100 times and has been featured on the cover of several magazines. He’s also released many top selling magic DVDs and his latest book ‘Timeless Magic’ was just launched in December to rave reviews.
Teller (of Penn & Teller) says “He generously nurtures magic of all kinds and has the mind of an evil elf”, and comedian Lawrence Leung based an entire episode of his 2011 TV series ‘Unbelievable’around Tim’s award-winning act ‘Runaround Sue’.
In addition to his corporate performances Tim is the Artistic Director of the hugely popular Melbourne Magic Festival which attracts 10,000 magic fans annually in July.
- 1st Prize Australian Magic Convention – Teenage (1980)
- 1st Prize Australian Magic Convention – Close Up (1986)
- 1st Prize Australian Magic Convention – Best Trick (1986 & 1990)
- 1st Prize Australian Magic Convention – Stage Magic (1990)
- Special Jury Prize FISM World Magic Championships (1991)
- 2nd Prize FISM World Magic Championships – Close Up Magic (1994)
Champions of Magic: LIVE! – Saturday March 10, 2012
- VENUE: Arrows on Swanston, 488 Swanston St, Carlton
- SHOWTIMES: 2pm & 8pm (2 hours including interval)
- TICKETS: Adults $32, Children/Concession $22, Family of 4 $82, Family of 5 $102
- BOOKINGS: www.Trybooking.com/BCDD
- GROUP TICKETS: $20 each for 10 or more. Call (03) 9486 4445